Let’s face it – sometimes winter can be brutal. This winter was sure an active one with many smaller snow storms and bitterly cold temperatures like we haven’t seen in decades. By this time of year, you are ready to wash the rock salt residue from your gloves, boots and your car – your poor car. Each day that goes by is one step closer to where you want to be…Spring! Soon you will enjoy days when you throw on a t-shirt with your favorite pair of jeans without freezing your buns off. Have you even thought about Spring cleaning yet?
Spring is a time for renewal and rebirth. The same goes for your home, your garage, your wardrobe – and yes, even your storage unit if you have one! If you’re anything like I am, you’re antsy for some Spring cleaning by the time March rolls around. It’s the best time to look around your home and go through your stuff to decide what you want to keep, what you can donate to a local charity or mission, what you can throw away and what needs to be moved to your storage unit.
Self Storage & Spring Cleaning
Are you new to self storage? Never had a unit before and aren’t sure if you need one? By all means, stop by our rental office to see what it’s all about! Our friendly Property Manager can take you on a tour, show you our interior access units and help you decide what’s best for you. He is very knowledgeable and can answer all of your questions, so you know what size and what type of storage unit you will need for your valuables.
It may seem overwhelming to think about Spring cleaning in your home and knowing you will have to decide what to keep and what to toss. (Probably why you “never had time” to do it last year!) Well, you can relax a bit! This is where self storage can really be beneficial, and where we can help reduce your anxiety about it.
Based off my experience both managing and using self storage units personally, I have a few ideas for you:
- First, make a list of what items you can put into storage when the seasons change. When Spring comes along, your Winter stuff can be put away; and when Fall comes long, Summer stuff can be stored, and so on. Think of it as a rotating cycle. None of us can remember everything all the time, so a checklist for each season is very helpful. This way we don’t forget anything at home or at our storage unit, and it can prevent multiple unnecessary trips back and forth.
- Do you have a bunch of stuff you just can’t part with, but you want it out of your house like yesterday? No problem. Take it to your storage unit! This way you can get it out of your way and go through it later when you are ready to deal with it.
- Since we are talking about Spring cleaning, now is the time to put all of your winter bulky items away since you won’t need them for another six months. Items like parkas, snow pants, boots, sleds, skis, shovels and your snow blower can be moved into your storage unit.
- While you are dropping off the winter items, now is the time to take home the Spring decorations and essentials. Everything from vases, baskets, Easter eggs for the little ones at home for the big Easter egg hunt this April, patio furniture and so on are all things you will need before you know it. As much as you may hate it (with my allergies, I certainly don’t enjoy it), you should also take home your rakes, lawn mower, flower pots and all of your landscaping items. That way you are ready to dig right in when the weather cooperates.
- As you move things back and forth from your home to your storage unit, take inventory of it all. There are probably some things that you don’t use anymore or maybe just don’t work as well as they once did. Spring is the time to clean out! Remember what I said earlier about Spring being the time for renewal and rebirth? Minimize where you can now, and you will feel a lot better later.
If you use your storage unit year-round, giving it a thorough cleaning and visit each season (before you say “I don’t have time for that”, it’s just four times a year, so it is manageable even for the busiest of us), you will keep your storage unit organized and easily accessible. The last thing you want is to neglect it, and for it to become just like your messy attic!
Without even really “cleaning” anything, you have just reinvigorated your life by moving out the cold Winter items and moving in the warm Spring and Summer items! Now you can dream about the warmer days to come with a big smile across your face. By the way, you probably should give everything a good dusting and wipe down when you move them between your home and your storage unit. Spring is the season to take a little time to actually clean your stuff, too.
By the time you are done, your home will be refreshed, clutter free and ready to be aired out when the final frost is done for the year, and you can crack open those windows for some fresh Springtime air! If you have any Spring cleaning tips, we would love to hear them! Just post them in the comments below, so everyone can benefit from what works for you.
If you are ready to take the plunge and get your Spring cleaning started now, contact us for more information about using self storage. You can also reserve a unit now!
The post Spring Cleaning With Self Storage appeared first on Custom Self Storage.